What's next: Hurricane Jose could hit Eastern US, Canada

Elias Hubbard
September 13, 2017

As it stands now, most computer models want to take the storm generally to the north and then to the north-northeast, away from the US east coast, by next weekend.

The hurricane is now a Category 1 storm as it makes a loop in the Atlantic off the Florida coastline.

Hurricane Jose is now travelling in a clockwise circle, but could go north later in the week.

The National Hurricane Center's forecast cone as of 5 a.m. Tuesday showed Jose weakening to a tropical storm as it continues to head out to sea, then circling back by Wednesday as it regains hurricane strength. As of Tuesday morning, Jose was a low-end Category 1, and could weaken further into a tropical storm. Forecast models are having a hard time figuring out what the state of the atmosphere will be like beyond five days.

According to CBS news, Hurricane Jose is hovering over the Atlantic Ocean north of the Leeward Islands and is about to drift between the Bahamas and Bermuda.

In any case, forecasters said the shear environment will keep the hurricane relatively weak, with maximum expected winds of 80 miles per hour throughout the next few days.

While Jose's trajectory is still uncertain, forecasters say there's at least a chance it could move northwest and hit the Bahamas - and possibly even Florida by next Monday.

A man walks among the destruction left by Hurricane Irma at the Phillipsburg Town Beach in Philipsburg, St. Maarten (Picture: Getty Images)When could Jose hit America?

There is a 25% chance the storm will hit the U.S., 25% chance it will hit Canada, and 50% chance it will spin back out to sea.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER