Indoor generator use sends 5 to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning

Elias Hubbard
September 13, 2017

As of Wednesday, Florida's Poison Control Centers had been contacted for treatment advice on 88 patients, and officials are urging residents to take precautions to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning related to generator use.

Three other victims found inside were rushed to Florida Hospital South for advanced life support.

Three of the people inside were dead, officials said.

But Williamson said, '(they) are really not looking so good right now'. Four others were hospitalized.

Authorities have not released the names of the individuals who lived in the home as of Tuesday night.

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous, invisible, odorless and tasteless gas. When people use generators improperly - too close to homes, in garages, or outside bedroom windows - carbon monoxide can seep in and sicken or kill.

Authorities said two people were found dead inside the home and one person was able to make it outside but collapsed and died.

The friend, who is 31 years old, was also taken to a hospital and treated for exposure to carbon monoxide, officials said.

The news comes a day after two adults and a child died in Orange County when a generator was being used inside their Orlando home.

The home on Eggleston Avenue did not have power after Hurricane Imra hit the Sunshine State on Sunday leaving millions without electricity.

Watch News 6 and stay with ClickOrlando.com for updates.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER