United States officials says confrontation with NKorea not imminent

Elias Hubbard
August 13, 2017

CIA Director Mike Pompeo appeared on "Fox News Sunday" to discuss North Korean nuclear development, which he said is proceeding at an "ever-alarming rate".

"The reaction in North Korea that we are intending to get is an is an understanding that America is no longer going to have the strategic patience that it's had that has permitted him to continue to develop his weapons program", Pompeo said.

President Donald Trump issued his own warnings to North Korea, announcing that North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un's threats will be met with "fire and fury like nothing the world has ever seen".

'There's nothing imminent today, ' Pompeo told Chris Wallace on 'Fox News Sunday'.

"He responds to adverse circumstances", he said.

The top USA military officer, Marine Corps Gen. Joseph Dunford, is traveling in Asia and expected to meet with leaders in South Korea, Japan and China.

"We're all looking to get out of this situation without a war", Dunford said.

President Donald Trump has offered fiery warnings for North Korea, saying that the USA military was "locked and loaded". "President Trump has made it clear that it is his intention to protect the American people".

White House officials have insisted the investigation was not created to apply additional pressure on China as it relates to North Korea despite the president's previous remarks that he would be more amenable on trade if China stopped Pyongyang's nuclear program. China is the North's biggest economic partner and source of aid, but says it alone can't compel its wayward ally to end its nuclear and missile programs. North Korea has previously mobilized large crowds to show its resolve when tensions escalate. It also said that the two "reiterated their mutual commitment to denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula". "There's no intelligence indicating we're on the cusp of a nuclear war".

He also clarified the president's warnings, noting that the USA does not want war with North Korea but will take action to defend itself if attacked.

The top USA intelligence official said on Sunday he would not be surprised if North Korea tested another missile, given that it had two tests in July, amid rising tensions between the two nations.

North Korea warned foreign diplomats to leave Pyongyang in 2013 when it suspended work at a joint inter-Korean industrial park and threatened missile strikes on U.S. Pacific bases, notably in Guam and Hawaii.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER