Police Release Final Text Message of Girl Who Died in Bathtub

Elias Hubbard
July 18, 2017

The last photo sent by the 14-year-old girl who was electrocuted while using her cell phone while in the bath has been released.

The Lovington Police Department has completed the investigation of the accidental electrocution of a 14-year-old female which occurred in the city of Lovington on Sunday, July 9, 2017.

In a harrowing turn of events, the photo police released is of what would be the final text the teen would send.

"When you use (an) extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you're in the bath", Madison wrote in a subsequent message.

"There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone".

Her family agreed to release the chilling photo in a bid to raise awareness of the dangers of using electronic devices near water so that others don't make the same mistake.

Madison's grandmother, Donna O'Guinn, described the teen last week to KCBD as a "very smart" girl who "just loved life".

"She had her phone plugged into the extension cord and it was by the bathtub and I did it, she did it, we all had sat there in the bathtub with our phones plugged in and played our games", explained her stepmother to KRQE. There will be a balloon/candlelight memorial following the memorial service, 6:30 p.m.at Terra Vista Middle School for all who would like to attend. She was reportedly electrocuted when she touched a frayed portion of the extension cord that she had plugged into the wall. All it takes is a drop, ' her step mom, Felisha Owens, said. Electricity and water do not mix.

But 20 minutes passed and young Madison Coe never emerged from the bathtub, Time reports.

"She was just sweet to everybody and everybody loved her", O'Guinn said.

The tragedy happened at Madison's father's house in Lovington, New Mexico, where the Texas teen was spending the summer, notes the New York Daily News.

"And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging".

'We need to be aware.

Her friends and families started a GoFundMe campaign to cover her medical and funeral costs.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER