Government says yes to 85% Tamil Nadu medical seat quota

Marco Green
June 27, 2017

The medical counselling has been scheduled for July 17th. This time for the merit list for MBBS admission. After that, choice filling and locking will be done on July 12, up to 5 pm on the last day.

Of the 4,350 seats in 22 government medical colleges, state-managed Raja Muthiah Medical College of Annamalai University and 10 self-financing institutions, 973 will be surrendered to the all-India quota. "NEET 2017 will be counted as the first attempt for all candidates, irrespective of their previous attempts in AIPMT/NEET", an official statement from CBSE has said. The qualification criteria already notified mentions that the candidates should have secured minimum marks at 50th percentile. The upper age limit for NEET is 25 years as on the date of examination for general category candidates. The percentile will be determined on the basis of highest marks secured in the all-India common merit list. "So, Anna University will begin counselling after the NEET results are out", he added. "The right to decide on the process of admission is with the state government". Although the state had conducted PG counselling for admission to deemed universities, the Centre has said MBBSBDS counselling for deemed universities will be done by DGHS with all-India quota as per the Supreme Court directions. Based on a proposal from the state selection committee secretary, in-charge of medical and dental admissions, it was made a decision to consider a policy that will give all students equal opportunity and reserve seats for state board students.

Following the unimpressive result of Tamil Nadu in NEET'17, the state government is trying all means to safe-guard the interest of the state's aspirants from the All India Quota (AIQ) which is 15% leaving only 85% seats in the hands of Tamils. Many states have already opened the registration process for NEET 2017 counselling, hence the candidates are advised to go through the information given in the respective authorities' websites.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER