Grenfell Tower fire: Number of people missing feared dead rises above 58

Lawrence Kim
June 19, 2017

Anyone who has concerns about someone who they know may have been living, visiting or staying in Grenfell Towers, but has not yet been contacted by the police or not yet reported their concerns about a possible missing person should call the police Casualty Bureau on 0800 0961 233.

The toll had previously been put at 30.

He said it had been "incredibly emotional working in there", adding: "On Saturday I went in myself and went to the top floor".

The previous figure given was 58.

Releasing a tranche of footage showing the aftermath of the blaze, Mr Cundy said: "Today, police teams continue their support to families, and make enquiries to cross check the number of those missing".

He warned that a full forensic and systematic search will take weeks to complete, adding: "We must also prepare people for the awful reality that some people may not be identified due to the intensity of the fire". "There is also a real possibility that there may be people in the building that no one knows are missing", he added.

Later on Sunday, Ms May announced survivors of the disaster who have been left homeless would be given at least £5,500 from an emergency fund.

Residents who met Mrs May in Downing Street over the weekend said while they welcomed the funding they had not been consulted before the announcement was made.

He said that authorities were continuing to investigate whether any crimes had been committed in the inferno.

Grenfell Tower
Police said the search for remains had resumed after pausing on Friday because of safety concerns

"There is a feeling from the community that they've been treated badly because some of them are poor", Khan said after a visit to a church near the burnt-out social housing block to attend a service which remembered victims of Wednesday's tragedy. Some said they had never seen a building fire advance so quickly.

Two British officials have said that new exterior cladding used in a renovation of Grenfell Tower may have been banned under United Kingdom building regulations.

Prime Minister Theresa May and her ministers were scrambling to make up ground following stinging criticism that the government's initial response to the disaster.

But Mark Cripps, a spokesman for Municipal Affairs Minister Bill Mauro, said the Ontario Building Code also stipulates that if "combustible cladding" is used on a building over three storeys, the structure must be equipped with automatic sprinkler protection.

On Friday angry crowds storm the council's headquarters after demanding answers about the lack of information, support and why they choose to use flammable cladding - which is believed to have caused the fire to spread - on the building in the first place.

On Sunday, Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond said believed the flammable materials used to clad the building were illegal in Britain.

More than 200 firefighters and 40 fire trucks were involved in operations to douse the blaze, which last for several hours.

Mr Cundy stressed in his statement that he would not confirm deaths unless he could be sure that his reports were accurate.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER