Terrorists behind London Bridge attack tried to hire 7.5-tonne truck

Elias Hubbard
June 12, 2017

The London Bridge terrorists tried to hire a 7.5-tonne lorry online on the morning of their attack but failed to pay, police revealed Saturday. People sit outside the George pub in Borough High Street, London, one week after the terrorist attack on nearby London Bridge and Borough Market, Saturday, June 10, 2017.

"In terms of our witnesses that we've spoken to so far, out of the 300-odd people, there are about 20 different countries of origin".

He said: "There were three identical knives - each attacker had one of those in their hand, wrapped with some kind of leather binding". Following the terror attack, 12 were arrested and released within 24 hours without any charges pressed against them.

Faith leaders (left to right) Dean of St Paul's David Ison, Reverend Trissia Hillas of St Paul's, Reverend Alan Green of St John on Bethnal Green, Director of Oxford Islamic Information Centre Dr Sheikh Ramzy, CEO of Muslim Aid Jehanjir Malik, the Revd Jonathan Baker Bishop of Fulham, Head of Chaplancy at Barts NHS Trust Yunus Dudhwala and East London Mosque Chairman Muhammad Uddim set off from St Paul's Cathedral in London for a "sunset walk" to the East London Mosque to remember victims of religious violence around the world.

"Obviously we will be reviewing, for example, the number of armed officers we have and how they work, and a whole host of other things that are likely, from my point of view, to take more resources, and I will be asking for them".

Instead he resorted to "plan B" and rented a white van which ploughed into pedestrians as the perpetrators launched their deadly rampage last Saturday night, killing eight victims and injuring dozens more.

Detectives suspect the carnage inflicted could have been even worse if Khuram Butt had not failed to secure the vehicle because his payment did not go through.

The three attackers were wearing fake suicide belts consisting of plastic water bottles wrapped in grey duct tape during the London attack.

All eight people killed in the attack have been identified. Eight officers fire 46 bullets and kill the terrorists.

Butt and his two accomplices, Rachid Redouane, 30, and Youseff Zaghba, 22, also loaded it with 13 Molotov cocktails, which police believe they meant to ignite after going on their stabbing spree. There were also bags of gravel, chairs and a suitcase meant to hide their murderous intent if the rental company or friends asked why they had hired a van.

The British Red Cross is working with organisations across London calling on people to "take a ride for London, eat a dish for London and say cheers for London", and numerous restaurants and outlets in the Borough Market area will be supporting the fundraising.

He said Redouane's home, an apartment in Barking, east London, was the men's safe house where they put their plot together and prepared the attack.

Prime Minister Theresa May, a former interior minister, came under particular scrutiny for cuts to the police.

A text is received on Butt's phone, confirming the van hire.

The gang arrives at an address in Barking, east London, where Zaghba lives. He then worked briefly in Brussels before returning to Spain.Dramatic footage from London's Borough Market shows three attackers viciously stabbing a man just before police converge and shoot them all dead.He told reporters: "Such amusing views".

By 9.58pm they drove north to south across London Bridge in the first of the two reconnaissance runs, and then started the attack.

Southwark Council said on Saturday that the last cordon had been lifted and police had now left the crime scene.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER