French president says 8th death confirmed after London attacks

Elias Hubbard
June 9, 2017

Italian news reports say the London Bridge attacker who had been stopped in Italy en route to Syria a year ago was subsequently listed in the European-wide intelligence-sharing system and was stopped at London's Stansted airport in January but let go.

"I know everyone at the force is behind him and his family as he continues his recovery".

CCTV video has emerged of police firing at the London Bridge attackers.

"On Tuesday, 6 June at approximately 19:44hours the body of a man was recovered from the river, near Limehouse, by specialist officers from the Marine Police Unit".

Three assailants were shot dead by police on Saturday as they carried out a stabbing spree in London's Borough Market, a warren of bars and restaurants, after mowing down pedestrians as they drove a van across London Bridge.

Mr Belanger had been walking with his girlfriend at the time, during a visit to London for the weekend.

Witnesses said Ms O'Leary shouted "don't shoot" as she was dragged out sobbing.

Earlier on Wednesday, police confirmed the death toll had risen to eight after they found a body in the River Thames.

Other victims include Canadian Christine Archibald, who was on the bridge with her fiancé Tyler Ferguson when she was hit by the van.

She worked in a homeless shelter in her home country, with relatives appealing for supporters to "honour" her memory by volunteering or donating.

"I am deeply shocked, saddened and numbed by the actions of my ex-partner who has killed and injured so many innocent people".

Charisse O'Leary said she has "shed many tears for the people caught up in this horrific incident".

London police said earlier in the week 12 people had been detained as part of the investigation into Saturday's attack, but all had been released. The 21-year-old worked as a nanny in London and had previously been described as missing since Saturday night. Ariana Grande's concert in Manchester on 22 May, but did not end up going. While he did not name Thomas while speaking in a joint news conference with Danish prime minister Lars Lokke Rasmussen, he did say eight other French citizens were injured.

"If our human rights laws stop us from doing it, we will change the laws so we can do it", May said at an election rally.

"This is not a course we will follow despite our loss".

NHS England, the British health authority, said Wednesday that of the dozens of victims hospitalized after the attack, 10 people remain in critical condition.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER