London attacks: Six people killed, three terror suspects shot dead

Elias Hubbard
June 4, 2017

Three knife-wielding attackers wearing fake suicide vests unleashed a terror rampage through central London, plowing a van into pedestrians on the iconic London Bridge and then running to a nearby market where they randomly stabbed multiple people, killing six and injuring 48.

A massive manhunt was underway asScotland Yard armed officers were dispatched to London Bridge after a van ploughed into pedestrians here in a suspected terror attack followed by stabbing incidents in the area. Police said in March that 52-year-old Khalid Masood drove a vehicle into pedestrians on the Westminster Bridge, killing four people before fatally stabbing a police officer.

A van struck "a number of pedestrians" on London Bridge, resulting in more than one fatality, BBC reported Saturday. We drove a bit further and noticed there was another person on the right hand side of the bridge who was also not on the pavement but in the road itself.

Transport for London said busy London Bridge station was closed at the request of police.

Prime Minister Theresa May said she was being updated by officials on the "fast-moving" situation, adding: "I can confirm that the bad incident in London is being treated as a potential act of terrorism".

Saturday night's "terrible incident" will be the focus of a meeting of the United Kingdom government's Cobra emergency committee, May's office said.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer said USA president Donald Trump had been briefed on the incident by his national security team.

Trump also tweeted a pledge of help and support for London. K., we will be there - WE ARE WITH YOU.

A married couple, Natalie and Ben, said they saw a man with "quite a large blade. maybe 10 inches".

The attack came just five days ahead of a general election and just minutes after the end of the Champions League final between Real Madrid and Juventus in an area teeming with bars where many fans were watching the football on television.

The attack came on the eve of a benefit concert Grande is scheduled to play in Manchester on Sunday in aid of the victims and their families.

The Assistant Commissioner said that the three terrorists were taken down by an armed flying squad, which was on duty, roving the city, ready to respond to an event such as this one.

Authorities said they were aware of the reports but would not release more information until they could confirm the facts.

Trump began tweeting about the attacks an hour or so after initial news reports.

Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn said on Twitter: "Brutal and shocking incidents reported in London". Five to six people had been hit. He said a waitress was stabbed in the throat and a man was stabbed in the back.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER