Curfew, restrictions continue in Kashmir

Elias Hubbard
June 4, 2017

The Valley's joint separatist leadership that includes Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Yasin Malik urged people to head to Tral to pay tributes to Bhat and seven militants killed in two gunfights.

Amid complete shutdown, authorities imposed curfew and restrictions in different parts of Valley to maintain law and order.

TOP Hizbul commander Sabzar Ahmad Bhat alias Abu Zarar, who succeeded Burhan Wani was killed on Saturday after a gunfight in Tral in south Kashmir, triggering widespread protests in the Valley once again, with one civilian death reported.

Last year, almost 100 protesters were killed after Hizbul Mujahideen leader Burhan Wani was killed, triggering months of anti-India protests.

Government forces enforced a strict curfew in parts of Indian-controlled Kashmir on Sunday, a day after the killing of a prominent rebel commander by Indian soldiers sparked massive protests in the disputed region.

Though there were few stone-pelting incidents in some areas of the valley on Sunday, the situation remained under control.

"Yes, both of them were gunned down and the operation is still going on", police chief Shesh Pal Vaid told AFP.

Meanwhile, curfew and restrictions continued in Srinagar and other places in the Kashmir Valley as authorities said "these were necessary to maintain law and order".

All educational institutions have been shut in the valley and exams scheduled for Monday in the university have been postponed.

A civilian was also killed allegedly in cross fire between militants and security forces during the encounter.

He said police and security forces used maximum restraint while dealing with the situation at these places and miscreants were chased away.

Bhat was buried on late Saturday evening in his ancestral graveyard in Rathsun, a village in Tral tehsil. There's heavy deployment of security forces in the old city areas of Srinagar as well.

The DM of Anantnag, Abid Rashid, said the restrictions on people's movement will be placed in the district on Monday (May 29), too, to prevent loss of life in view of the prevailing situation. Clashes spread to other districts, leaving dozens injured.

Wani's killing triggered massive protests in the region for months and a security lockdown, during which at least 90 people a lot of them teenagers were killed and over 14,000 injured in police and paramilitary shooting during protests.

Indian authorities clamped a curfew across most of Indian-held Kashmir (IHK) for the first day of the Islamic month of Ramazan on Sunday and partially cut telephone services to thwart protests over the killing of a freedom fighter.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article