Police release images of suspected Manchester bomber

Elias Hubbard
May 29, 2017

Greater Manchester Police says a 25-year-old man was arrested in the city Sunday on suspicion of terrorist offenses.

While 2 people had been released, 14 men are still being held in custody as past of the massive operation to dismantle suicide bomber Salman Abedi's network of terror.

15 people in total have been arrested in connection with the investigation, and 13 of them remain in custody for questioning, police said.

Residents described their houses shaking and hearing a loud blast as officers forced their way into the semi-detached property in the Gorton area of Manchester, The Guardian reported.

The government is facing criticism after acknowledging that Abedi was on security services' radar, but wasn't a major focus of scrutiny.

Police said they are working "around-the-clock" with more than 1,000 people involved in the investigation, pursuing more than 1,500 "actions".

Prime Minister Theresa May said developments in the investigation into the bombing meant that intelligence experts had made a decision to lower the threat level from its highest rating "critical", meaning an attack could be imminent, to "severe".

22 people lost their lives in the attack, carried out by Salman Abedi, with more than 60 injured.

CCTV stills of Abedi, bespectacled and casually clothed, were released by police in a plea for information about his movements between May 18 and the attack.

"But I would not rush to conclusions, as you seem to be, that they have somehow missed something".

Additional security measures were in place for the Great Manchester Run on Sunday, which attracted tens of thousands of participants.

"We should be clear about what this means: A threat level of severe means an attack is highly likely, the country should remain vigilant", Prime Minister May said. The Army troops deployed as a result of Operation Temperer will be reduced from Monday night.

The Islamic State took responsibility for the attack.

The "We Love Manchester Emergency Fund", launched by the city council and the British Red Cross, had reached £5.65 million by Sunday.

"We know one of the last places Abedi went was the city centre flat and from there he left to make his way to the Manchester Arena", Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins and Neil Basu, Senior National Coordinator UK Counter Terrorism Policing said in a joint statement.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER