Further arrest made by police investigating Manchester atrocity

Elias Hubbard
May 29, 2017

Police have also issued CCTV stills of Salman Abedi, the Manchester bomber, in a plea for information about his movements between the 18 May and the attack four days later.

Three people were arrested - and quickly de-arrested - during the afternoon's operation at Quantock Street, Moss Side, leading them to post an outraged sign on their front door.

"Until the operation is complete we can't be entirely sure that it is closed", Rudd said.

"Particularly against some of the hateful views that we've seen from a very small minority of the community that have no place here", Ian Hopkins, Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police, said.

Counter-terror police have made a fresh arrest in connection with the Manchester suicide bombing as officers raided another address in the city.

Rudd's statement comes the day after Britain reduced its terror threat to "severe" from "critical" following a meeting between British Prime Minister Theresa May and security chiefs.

At least 17 raids have been carried out across the country since Monday's attack, according to Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley, Britain's senior police officer for counterterrorism.

More than 20 people were killed in an explosion following a Ariana Grande concert at the Manchester Arena late Monday evening.

"I do think it is right that MI5 take a look at their processes to ensure that they work to the best of the possible limits to make sure that we keep people safe", she told BBC television.

Britain's interior minister says the hunt is still on for suspects in the Manchester bombing, and members of attacker Salman Abedi's network may still be at large.

The British Red Cross announced the amount raised in a fundraising drive for the Manchester victims and survivors has reached £5.65 million, having been supported by celebrities including Justin Timberlake and Martin Freeman.

Investigators believe 22-year-old Manchester-born suicide bomber Abedi, from a family of Libyan origin, acted as part of a terrorist network and their focus had been on intercepting his wider network. "They picked the wrong people to mess with this time".

Authorities are appealing for more information about his final days.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER