Advertisers Beginning to Abandon Hannity

Marco Green
May 29, 2017

Hannity also said that he made a decision to stop pushing the conspiracy theory out of respect for Rich's family. Several companies like Cars.com and Crown Plaza Hotels reportedly told news outlets that they were yanking support, especially after Fox News issued a retraction about the story.

Sean Hannity's fixation with a conspiracy theory surrounding the death of Democratic National Committee (DNC) staffer Seth Rich led a few companies to pull out from his Fox News show Wednesday.

Last week, Fox News published a story reporting that Seth Rich had sent 44,053 DNC emails to WikiLeaks, citing a nameless federal investigator who reportedly had access to Rich's computer following the DNC staffer's death. Washington police have said they think Rich was killed in a random robbery attempt.

Earlier this week, Fox News online retracted an earlier story in the Rich saga, saying that it did not stand up to their standards of truth.

On his show Tuesday night, Hannity said he would drop the story "for now", but pledged on Twitter later that "not only am I not stopping, I am working harder".

Sean Hannity says there's "an attempt to take me out" as advertisers jump ship. "We will continue to investigate this story and will provide updates as warranted". Advertisers began pulling out of The O'Reilly Factor in March following reports that O'Reilly and Fox News had paid $13m (£10m) to settle claims of sexual harassment and verbal abuse.

Hannity announced he would go on vacation, and of course rumors flew that Fox News had cut its most famous host. Cars.com was the first to announce it would suspend ads on Hannity's show.

Fox News denied there was anything unusual about his vacation.

"To the extent of my ability, I am not going to stop trying to find the truth", Mr. Hannity said, The Blaze reported Wednesday. In a statement to Fortune, a company spokesperson wrote: "We have reviewed our programmatic television media strategy with our agency partners and reassigned this allocation".

After weeks of leading a hysterical conspiracy-theory against a dead man, Hannity is taking a hiatus from his show "Hannity", making many wonder if he will be coming back to the show at all.

"We have no plans to advertise on Fox News for the foreseeable future", the company said in a statement.

But Hannity hasn't yet hemorrhaged as many advertisers as O'Reilly did.

Tonight, Hannity further illustrated the pitfalls of his volatility by starting to actively encourage his fans to pressure his own advertisers.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER