CCTV images of Manchester bomber on night of attack released

Elias Hubbard
Мая 28, 2017

United Kingdom police have identified 22-year-old Salman Abedi as the individual they suspect of having perpetrated the attack.

A matter of hours after he was captured on camera, the 22-year-old was dead, having inflicted an outrage on a pop concert attended predominantly by young girls.

The Duke of Cambridge laid a wreath in honour of the Manchester Arena victims at the heavily-policed FA Cup final at Wembley Stadium, at which football fans also observed a minute's silence.

Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said they had "got hold of a large part" of the terror network they believe bomber Salman Abedi was part of.

Concert-goers returned to Manchester for a performance by indie rock band The Courteeners at the Old Trafford cricket ground.

The British Red Cross announced £5.57 million has been raised in a fundraising drive for the Manchester victims and survivors, prompting Manchester City Council to set up a new charity to help distribute the money.

A senior security source told the BBC the threat level was "critical" partly because of concern at so-called "copy-cat" attacks, as well as fears about the Manchester network.

Almost two dozen people were killed and dozens more were hurt Monday night in a bombing at the Manchester Arena, which occurred shortly after the singer's concert concluded. In a statement released through Greater Manchester police, her family said the teenager's life had been cut short by "evil, evil men prepared to ruin lives and destroy families".

Prime Minister Theresa May said developments in the investigation into the bombing meant intelligence experts had made a decision to lower the threat level from its highest rating "critical", meaning an attack could be imminent, to "severe". "The country should remain vigilant".

Greater Manchester Police says officers are moving people from the area in the Moss Side neighborhood as a precaution.

The terror threat had been at critical for the first time in a decade.

Police have made "significant arrests and finds" in their inquiry into the Manchester Arena bombing, according to the UK's top counter-terrorism officer.

Grande flew back home shortly after the attack, and on Tuesday afternoon she was spotted in her hometown of Boca Raton, Florida, being greeted by her boyfriend Mac Miller.

The threat assessment has now been returned to the level it was at prior to the attack in Manchester, northwest England, and means soldiers who have been assisting police would be withdrawn from Britain's streets from midnight on Monday. "There are 11 people in custody, the operation is still really at full tilt in a way".

Despite the lowering of the threat level, extra armed officers were on duty across the country and security has been stepped up at some 1,300 events over a long holiday weekend.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article