RV Catches Fire After Early Morning Police Chase in Texas

Olive Rios
May 25, 2017

About 20 minutes later, a Caddo Mills police officer spotted the recreational vehicle the woman said she was riding in with her husband and two children traveling between 80 and 90 miles per hour, according to Lt. Christopher Cook of the Arlington Police Department. Their mother was also taken to hospital to be treated but her condition remains unknown.

The husband kept going with the children in the RV, eventually starting a chase with the Caddo Mills Police Department and the Hunt County Sheriff's Office, according to Cook.

At about 2:30 a.m. Thursday, a woman sent a text to 911 in East Texas' Hunt County saying she'd been shot three times by her husband.

About 20 minutes after the woman texted for help, she jumped out of the vehicle as it was traveling at a high speed on I-30 in Royse City.

As other law enforcement agencies joined the pursuit, the suspect sped through Rockwall and Dallas counties on Interstate 30, according to the station.

Somewhere near Rowlett, officers put down a spike strip, which punctured the RV's tires but didn't stop the vehicle.

The chase ended on Interstate 30 in Arlington and police said the man let the two children out of the vehicle after it stopped.

Arlington police said all westbound lanes of I-30 will remain closed until about 9 a.m.

Police said a man is dead after leading authorities on a chase through four North Texas counties in a recreational vehicle with two children inside after shooting a woman early Thursday.

The fire then became more intense, eventually burning the RV until it was unrecognizable.

As officers grabbed the children, police said they reported hearing a single gunshot.

Lt. Cook says the medical examiner will determine the official cause of death for the suspect, and will release his name once next of kin has been notified.

Officers were seen escorting the children to an ambulance and transported to Arlington Memorial Hospital.

The children were rescued from the RV and did not appear to be seriously injured.

Westbound lanes of I-30 won't be re-opened until well after rush hour, Cook said.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article