Father of Manchester bomber arrested in Libyan capital Tripoli - spokesman, witness

Elias Hubbard
May 25, 2017

In addition to those killed in the concert attack, Manchester officials raised to 119 the number of people who sought medical treatment after the attack. She was loved by everyone and her warmth and kindness will be remembered fondly. The attacker, identified as 22-year-old Salman Abedi, also died at the site.

In a a statement from Ariana's management team, they said: "Due to the tragic events in Manchester, the Dangerous Woman tour with Ariana Grande has been suspended until we can further assess the situation and pay our proper respects to those lost".

Numerous victims were young girls, with the youngest identified so far being just 8-year-old. Hundreds of British troops have also been deployed to back up the police.

Abedi studied business at Salford University but dropped out before completing his degree.

Authorities in Britain and Libya on Wednesday arrested Abedi's father and two brothers as part of their investigation.

The notoriety the suicide bomber has brought to the place and the massive police operation that is still under way are clearly unwelcome to local residents. Neighbor Adam Prince said raided flat had been used as an Airbnb.

Wednesday, to free up police, Parliament was closed to the public and the ceremonial changing of the guards was cancelled at Buckingham Palace. Armed police patrolled outside St. Paul's Cathedral in London, another popular tourist spot. "We have faced a serious terrorist threat in our country for many years", May said.

Manchester bomber Salman Abedi was photographed by security cameras in the city's Arndale shopping centre on Friday evening, carrying a rucksack that appeared to be recently purchased, Sky News reported.

"We don't believe in killing innocents".

The response, she added, "is a proportionate and sensible response to the threat that our security experts judge we face".

He said his son last visited Libya a month-and-a-half ago.

Ramadan Abedi fled Tripoli in 1993 after Moammar Gadhafi's security authorities issued an arrest warrant. Now he is a manager for the Central Security force in Tripoli. According to some reports, Abedi left after an imam preached a sermon criticising the terror group Islamic State, moving to a more radical mosque in south Manchester.

On Tuesday, ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack, and according to the latest reports, the suicide bomber was "likely" not acting alone.

Early Wednesday, Manchester police arrested a man at a house just a 10-minute walk from Abedi's home.

"I never spoke to him and he didn't talk to anyone", said an elderly woman who lives a few doors away.

12 of the 59 injured were children, Rouse said.

Soldiers were seen at the Houses of Parliament, May's Downing Street residence and at the London police headquarters at New Scotland Yard. British officials, however, have not commented on whether Abedi had links to IS or other extremist groups.

Abedi was reportedly the son of Libyans who fled the late Muammar Gadaffi regime but who have since returned to their home country, leaving Salman and Ismael in the United Kingdom, although they traveled to Libya several times.

French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said British investigators had told French authorities Abedi had probably travelled to Syria as well.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article