Ariana Grande suspends world tour, cancels some Euro stops

Elias Hubbard
May 25, 2017

British police sources say his ties to Hostey are being probed by counter-terror officials who fear Abedi may have been part of a terror cell, a concern heightened by a trip he made to Libya in the run-up to the bombing.

An eight-year-old girl has been confirmed dead after a suspected suicide attack on an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England.

The Manchester bombing is the worst terror attack in the United Kingdom since the London bombings in 2005 that killed 56 people.

Police are trying to determine whether suicide bomber Salman Abedi acted alone when he set off his explosives at the end of a pop concert at a Manchester arena.

A Formula One Management source said the 10 teams, a majority of them British-based, had also agreed to carry the #Manchester hashtag on their cars.

May said Britain's terror threat level had been raised to critical - meaning another attack may be imminent. The government said almost 1,000 soldiers were deployed Wednesday in high-profile sites in London and elsewhere, replacing police, who can work on counter-terrorism duties. The changing of the guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace was canceled Wednesday so police officers can be re-deployed, Britain's defense ministry said.

British Home Secretary Amber Rudd said Abedi "likely" had accomplices and she criticized the USA government for leaking information about his identity.

France's interior minister said Abedi is believed to have traveled to Syria and had "proven" links with the Islamic State group.

Abedi's brother was detained Tuesday and shortly before Wednesday's press conference three additional men were taken into custody. These cars just pulled up and all these police with guns, dogs, jumped out of the auto and said to us: "'Get in the house now, '" said Simon Turner, 46, who lives nearby.

The Prime Minister, who has now travelled to Manchester, added: "It is now beyond doubt that the people of Manchester and of this country have fallen victim to a callous terrorist attack - an attack that targeted some of the youngest people in our society with cold calculation".

Alan Kinsey, 52, who lived in the house opposite Abedi, said he thought there had been just one man for the last 7-8 months and a couple had been living there as well before that.

"If anyone comes across my parents please, please let me know as they've been missing ever since the attack, this is a picture taken tonight so this is exactly what they were wearing", she wrote.

"And as I've said, it continues at a pace".

"There are a number of individuals who have very, very serious injuries and are requiring intensive care and people who are going to be in hospital for a long time", said David Ratcliffe, medical director of the North West Ambulance Service.

At Manchester's Didsbury Mosque, where the Abedi family worshipped, authorities condemned the bombing and denied reports that Abedi had worked there.

Grande, who reportedly is in Boca Raton, Florida, with her family, has kept a low profile since the blast.

"I have been very clear with our friends that that should not happen again", she said.

Security officials believe others masterminded his attack on Monday's Manchester concert that killed 22.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER