Lehmann plays down Ashes strike threat

Marco Green
May 19, 2017

Cricket Australia (CA) and the Australian Cricketers' Association (ACA) are seemingly no closer to agreeing to a new pay deal.

The ACA consequently rejected the proposal in April and a number of senior internationals, including Shane Watson and Mitchell Starc, have provided public backing by using the hashtag #fairshare on social media.

There are now only six weeks to go until the current memorandum of understanding (MOU) expires.

"I'm not surprised James has done what he's done".

"I'm not going to go too much into that to be perfectly honest".

Live worldwide cricket is set to return to free-to-air television as part of the England and Wales Cricket Board's new proposed broadcast deal from 2020, according to tender documents leaked to The Times. CA has claimed its offer will address "under-investment" at grass roots level, but May questioned how that concern could not be addressed within a revenue-sharing model.

Warner said earlier this week players were refusing to back down from their demand that Cricket Australia keep the current revenue-sharing pay arrangement and cautioned they might walk out on the Ashes if relations between the two parties strained further. The bad news is that they're going round in circles.

“Im sure that wont happen.

"No, I wouldn't think so".

"This could be a win-win".

"It is going to be a bit of a distraction, there's no doubt about that", ESPNcricinfo quoted Lehmann as saying. There has been no discussion, or any negotiation on the detail of that deal.

Why are Australia's cricketers in a pay dispute?

"At the end of the day it's about getting ready for that first game and playing well", he said.

"There is incoherence and aggression in what we have experienced at the negotiating table from CA", ACA chief executive Alistair Nicholson said in a statement on Sunday".

"It's also a window into the nature of CA's behaviour in these negotiations so far". He felt the current standoff was "inevitable" due to CA becoming a big corporate entity which conducted negotiations differently than it used to.

"However, despite these threats, the players affirm their offer to participate in independent mediation".

If the dispute is not resolved, there would be uncertainty over what team Australia could field after 30 June.

Lehmann remains confident a new deal will be struck, but said CA and ACA needed to hold talks.

Cricket Australia yesterday rejected ACA's request for mediation in pay talks between the two parties, reiterating the board's insistence that talks resume with its formal pay offer as the starting point.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER