Man died while charging his iPhone and using it in the bath

Joanna Estrada
March 19, 2017

Richard Bull from Ealing in west London was pronounced dead by paramedics in his home on December 11.

The coroner ruled a verdict of accidental death and said he would be sending a report to Apple in order to prevent further accidents.

Safety campaigners have warned about the dangers of charging mobiles near water following the inquest.

He had plugged his phone into a charger, which was connected an extension cord out to his house's hallway, so he could use it in the bathtub while it charged, The Sun reported.

Coroner Dr. Sean Cummings reported, This was a tragic accident and I have no reason to believe at all that there is anything other than it being completely accidental.

The 32-year-old man identified as Richard was found covered in severe burns to his chest, arms, and hand, so much so that his wife who made the discovered thought he had been attacked.

Steve Curtler, from safety charity Electrical Safety First, said people underestimate how powerful chargers can be.

He said: "Although the cable that is plugged into your phone is 5V, somewhere along the line it's plugged into the electricity supply and you're reliant on that cable and a transformer to make sure you don't get into contact with the main voltage".

His brother Andrew also exclaimed over the incident, I still find it hard to believe that the charger plug and phone would be enough electricity to kill someone. "You're vulnerable in the bathroom".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER