Colorado Springs born giraffe passes away in North Carolina

James Marshall
March 18, 2017

One of the North Carolina Zoo's giraffes died Tuesday after becoming tangled in a piece of equipment.

In a statement, the zoo said: "It is with a heavy heart that we share the loss of one of our beloved giraffes, Jamili". The zoo said the item had been used for years without any problems.

Jamili, a 9-year-old giraffe, was found unresponsive in her behind-the-scenes living quarters at the North Carolina Zoo's giraffe habitat, officials said.

Born at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado in May, 2008, Jamili arrived in North Carolina the following spring, delighting staff with her her easy-going personality.

On the zoo's website, officials posted: "We are saddened to report that Jamili died after she accidentally became entangled in a mental and physical engagement item used with our giraffe herd".

The N.C. Zoo participates in an Association of Zoos and Aquariums giraffe population management program.

The zoo says it is reviewing all of its animal safety policies and procedures. "And, as with children's toys, we are very careful to scrutinize them for safety, e.g. sharp edges, toxicity, swallowing hazards, etc".

Each new enrichment item goes through an approval process to make sure it is safe for animal to use.

She is the mother to a 4-year-old giraffe, Juma, who is at the Maryland Zoo, and she recently became a grandmother when Juma gave birth to a female calf last month.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER